Sunday, September 6, 2009

My Introduction

You may ask why I chose "The Endless Quester" as the title for my blog. I guess it comes from a name I was given by a professor of mine in college. I had him sign a book that he co-authored and in his note referred to me as a "quester." I never thought of myself as this, but it was evident to him that I was on some sort of adventure. Since then, it has become clear to me that I am not merely on an adventure, but finding myself in a greater story.

I scarcely believe that this path I've traveled is a normal one. In the last seven years, I've been:

  • naval officer in training, with law school and JAG Corps aspirations,
  • an English major, dabbling in pre-1800 literature,
  • a Communications major, determined to master the art of persuasion,
  • a bank teller,
  • a world traveler,
  • and most-recently, a grants accountant.

Now, I find myself returning to the land of Academia, this time as a student of international relations.

This road has been a winding one--both with its share of challenges and rewards. Perhaps the greatest (and most agonizing) aspect has been that I haven't been able to see the next step beyond which I stand. Yet, I press on toward the next marker on the road. J.R.R. Tolkien, author of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, described this road:

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way."

Let's see where it goes next....

No comments:

Post a Comment